This page is updated when COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines evolve or when we receive new information about pandemic-related measures.
Last Updated August 25, 2021, 1:00 p.m.
Our strong communication and planning along with consistent safety protocols enabled us to successfully manage the COVID-19 challenges last school year. Our track record of limited cases across the community reflect the strong partnership, trust, and support experienced between the school and our families.
AIS is uniquely prepared to manage the ever changing COVID-19 context by way of our American/IB educational approach and philosophy, which supports students’ creative, adaptive and problem-solving skills. Like our students, our leaders, teachers, and staff are similarly “wired” to adapt, create, team, and adjust to the needs of our students, regardless of the model of learning delivery, whether inside of the classroom or across a virtual connection, while maintaining strong relationships and connection.
Please take a moment to review the following, based on recently released Austrian COVID regulations.
Our AIS 3G Environment
Similar to dining at a restaurant or visiting a museum around the city, schools (ALL employees, students, parents, and visitors) must also adhere to 3G requirements. We will continue to offer testing for students on campus three times per week.
In line with local Viennese schools, our Safety Period has been extended to September 24, which currently includes the following:
- At present, we will continue to test everyone on campus three times per week.
- All parents, visitors, and vendors may enter campus by appointment only.
- Parents and visitors will sign in at their point of entry and establish 3G status.
- All other protocols remain.
Everyone must provide documentation of one of the following when gaining access to campus:
- Proof of vaccination (full immunization).
- Proof of official negative COVID test.
- PCR test is valid for 72 hours.
- Antigen test is valid for 48 hours.
- Recovered from COVID within the last 6 months. Or antibody test-valid for 3 months.
We fully expect all community members to adhere to Austrian travel restrictions and quarantine measures prior to setting foot on campus. We also expect all community members to follow all current protocols as established by the Austrian government.
When moving about on campus, you must wear a face mask. We urge you to wear an FFP2 mask as it offers you the best protection. Once you get to an office, classroom, or meeting (even large groups) you may remove your mask. We ask that you continue to practice social distancing while on campus and sanitize your hands.
Our experiences with COVID-19 may be just as diverse as the places our families are coming from. Each of us may have different expectations and will adjust to the current circumstances in Vienna and at AIS. We will strive to provide clarity and consistency of communication as we head into the start of the year so that students and their families feel prepared, informed, and reassured. Parents are our partners at AIS and we will continue to work with you for the benefit of our students.
Individuals who have been vaccinated (Geimpft)
For people who have been vaccinated with an approved vaccine, the following rules apply:
- Proof of vaccination will only be valid for those fully immunized.
- The proof of vaccination for fully vaccinated people is valid for 270 days (9 months) from the date of the second vaccination.
- Vaccines for which only one vaccination is scheduled (e.g., from Johnson & Johnson) are valid for a total of 270 days (9 months) from the date of vaccination beginning on the 22nd day after vaccination.
- For recovered individuals who have been vaccinated once, the vaccination is valid for 270 days (9 months) from the date of the second vaccination.
Individuals who have recovered (Genesen)
For people who have recovered from COVID-19, the following rules apply:
- These individuals are exempt from the obligation to test for six months after the infection has expired. Evidence includes
- Official discharge certificate: valid for 6 months.
- Medical confirmation of a prior infection confirmed by means of a molecular test: valid for 6 months.
- Proof of a positive test for neutralizing antibodies: valid for 3 months.
A comprehensive range of test options will create numerous low-threshold options for test evidence in the future.
Individuals who test (Getestet)
Different periods of validity are defined for the tests depending on their reliability:
- Molecular test (e.g. PCR test) valid for 72 hours from the time of sampling.
- Antigen test of an authorized provider: valid for 48 hours from the time of sampling.
COVID-19 Response Team
The AIS COVID-19 Response Team consists of Renée McCormack (School Nurse), Andy Harrison (Director of Events Office) and Claudia Bonek (Travel Liaison Officer and Assistant to the Events Office). Please make sure that all reports of confirmed or suspected COVID-19 cases or close contacts go directly to them. The team is best prepared to answer your specific questions.
Continued Health Imperatives
We continue to repeat Austrian, CDC, and WHO advice that wearing masks, regularly washing/sanitizing hands, and physical distancing remain our best practices for slowing the spread of the virus.
If you present the following symptoms, please call the health hotline ("Gesundheitstelefon") 1450 (English-speaking representatives available) immediately:
Shortness of Breath
Loss of Smell and Taste
*All With or Without Fever
If you are unsure, please email the AIS COVID-19 Response Team.