1955 - Founding of the Vienna International Community School (VICS) - AIS Vienna’s predecessor, situated at Bauernfeldgasse 40, in Vienna’s 19th District.
1956 - The US Ambassador advised that US funds would be available for an American sponsored school - it was decided that VICS was to become this school.
1958 - Recognition of the American school curriculum by the Austrian Ministry of Education.
1959 - Founding of the American International School Vienna (AISV) by the Embassies of the United States and Canada - VICS was dissolved. Enrollment at this time was 234 students with 17 nationalities. The old school building on Bauernfeldgasse was no longer adequate - a major portion of the grant funds were used for a new campus site.
1961 - AIS Vienna took possession of the 44,000 square meter site for its new school on Salmannsdorfer Strasse, near the Vienna Woods in the 19th District.
1962 - Groundbreaking Ceremony for the new AIS Vienna campus.
1964 (Spring) - First graduation ceremony took place on the new Salmannsdorfer campus still under construction at that time.
1964 (Fall) - First school year at AIS Vienna on the new site. 357 students with 28 nationalities were enrolled.
1977 - International Baccalaureate offered.
2017 - AIS Vienna celebrates fortieth anniversary as an IB World School.
2019-2020 - AIS Vienna celebrates its sixtieth anniversary with thousands of alumni from all around the world.
2022 - Nearly 800 students with over 60 nationalities enrolled.