Ensuring the ongoing operations of the school is the responsibility of the parents. All parents are members of the Association, which meets in a General Assembly twice each year. The Association members elect members to the 10-member Executive Board and to a 3-member Auditing Committee. The Executive Board meets eight times per year plus two General Assemblies.
Click here for a graphical overview of governance at AIS.
Click here to learn how you can Make A Difference and join the Executive Board or Auditing Committee.
The School is governed by a 10-member Executive Board, eight of whom are elected by the Parents' Association that sponsors the School, one who is appointed by the U.S. Ambassador, and the Director (ex-officio). Membership in the Association is automatically conferred on the parents or guardians of children enrolled in the School. The School is incorporated under Austrian law and is affiliated with the Office of Overseas Schools, U.S. Department of State.
The Executive Board sets general policies and is responsible for hiring the School Director, who oversees the operations of the school. Times and dates of meetings are listed on the school calendar and in Scoops.
|Kirsten Detrick||Chair||June 2019|
|Sirin Kont||Member||June 2020|
|Lutz Kranz||Member||June 2020|
|Matthew Leder||Secretary||June 2020|
|Stephen Razidlo||Ex-officio / Director|
|Arthur Saunders||Member||June 2019|
|Alison Shorter-Lawrence||US Ambassador's Appointee|
|Beat Siffert||Treasurer||June 2019|
|Elvan Yazmaci Ersoy||Vice-Chair||June 2019|
|Bernhard Zwantschko||Member||June 2020|
|Jan Jones||Faculty Liaison|
Click here to contact the Executive Board.
Each year the Executive Board sets strategic goals for the year. In 2017-2018 the Board set the following goals:
- Build and maintain a long-term financial plan for AIS; define a balanced annual budget that is then proposed to the General Assembly for approval, and develop effective management and mitigation processes that reduce financial, operational and strategic risk.
- Build and monitor sustainable governance processes on all strategic areas affecting AIS stakeholders and ensure that bylaws and policies enable optimized operations by the AIS administrative team.
- Work together with parents, faculty, students, and administration to develop a short-, medium-, and long-term vision for facilities development at AIS.
- Create a formalized approach to reputation management by creating and executing on stakeholder communication strategies, and develop a fundraising policy that maximizes advancement opportunities for our school.
- Identify qualified potential candidates for the Executive Board and Auditing Committee by motivating Association Members to volunteer their skills, experience and time in the strategic leadership of our school.
Board Meetings and Documents
The Executive Board generally meets on the third Tuesday of the month in the Secondary Library. Agendas, minutes, and other documents may be found in the AIS Parent Portal.
Board Meeting Dates
Sep. 25, 2018 - General Session
Oct. 16, 2018 - Executive Session
Nov. 13, 2018 - Executive Session
Dec. 18, 2018 - General & Executive Session
Jan. 15, 2019 - General Session
Jan. 24, 2019 - Director-Board Coffee
Feb. 5, 2019 - Winter General Assembly
Mar. 12, 2019 - Executive Session
Apr. 16, 2019 - General Session
May 14, 2019 - Spring General Assembly & Executive Session
June 4, 2019 - Executive Session
The Auditing Committee is the internal control of the Association. It is elected by and reports to the General Assembly. The members are:
- Christian Bruckner
- Albert Hannak
- Elena Popescu-Munteanu