Ensuring the ongoing operations of the school is the responsibility of the parents. All parents are members of the Association, which meets in a General Assembly twice each year. The Association members elect members to the 10-member Executive Board and to a 3-member Auditing Committee. The Executive Board meets eight times per year plus two General Assemblies.
Click here for a graphical overview of governance at AIS.
Click here to learn how you can Make A Difference and join the Executive Board or Auditing Committee.
The School is governed by a 10-member Executive Board, eight of whom are elected by the Parents' Association that sponsors the School, one who is appointed by the U.S. Ambassador, and the Director (ex-officio). Membership in the Association is automatically conferred on the parents or guardians of children enrolled in the School. The School is incorporated under Austrian law and is affiliated with the Office of Overseas Schools, U.S. Department of State.
The Executive Board sets general policies and is responsible for hiring the School Director, who oversees the operations of the school. Times and dates of meetings are listed on the school calendar and in Scoops.
|Verena Benedict||Member||June 2018|
|Renée Carmine-Jones||Nominations Committee Chair||June 2017|
|Francesca Cook-Hagen||Chair||June 2017|
|Antje Frey||Governance Committee Chair||June 2018|
|Michael Kelleher||Policy Committee Chair||June 2017|
|Lutz Kranz||Member||June 2018|
|Matthew Leder||Secretary||June 2018|
|Norman Thatcher Scharpf||US Ambassador's Appointee / Vice Chair|
|Stephen Razidlo||Ex-officio / Director|
|Andrey Stolyarov||Treasurer / Finance Committee Chair||June 2017|
Click here to contact the Executive Board.
Each year the Executive Board sets strategic goals for the year. This year the Board has set the following goals and is working toward their completion:
- Benchmark governance against international school best practices in the context of AIS Vienna history, and challenge existing structures and systems for transparency, efficiency and stability
- Implement continuous improvement and professional development for administration and board to drive innovative and effective leadership and sustainable governance
- Develop, implement, and nurture effective and transparent communication and inclusive feedback mechanisms to help guide governance and leadership activities
- Develop and improve risk management process
- Develop and improve capital investment policies and procedures
- Develop five-year financial plan
Board Meetings and Documents
The Executive Board generally meets on the third Tuesday of the month in the Secondary Library. Agendas, minutes, and other documents may be found in the AIS Parent Portal. You will be able to access this page with the same username and password used for the Online Telephone Directory and for the Parent-Teacher Conference sign-ups.
The Auditing Committee is the internal control of the Association. It is elected by and reports to the General Assembly. The members are:
- Christian Bruckner
- Stefan Guetter
- Elena Popescu-Munteanu